Thursday 6 February 2014

Crop Top or Crop Flop?

In recent seasons, the crop top has made a real come-back, with the revival being paired with a sophisticated pencil skirt or more casually with jeans being seen on every pavement internationally. It's been a feature on red carpets as well as within street style globally making it out to be one of the most versatile yet daring wardrobe pieces.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm a fan. I can understand that if you've got a set of rock hard abs you want to show them off, but there are more subtle ways to do so without literally shoving them in everyone's face. For me, I'd rather show off my figure in a stylish piece of tailoring which equally allows others to notice I don't frequent Maccy D's on a daily basis, rather than catching a cold with my stomach out and hesitating every time I need to sit down and the inevitable 'rolls' are unleashed.

However, despite my ranting, I have to admit that I do have one cropped piece. I feel I can justify it considering it's a 40s style tie top, so it's not a slogan tee at least! If I were to ever take the cropped-top purchase plunge again, I could be tempted by an ASOS bargain.

This Recalimed Vintage Floral piece is a great fabric and I really like the simple shape and neckline. And for £30, it doesn't matter if you only where it a couple of times!


My favourite of the ASOS crop offerings has to be this tartan vintage piece though. Currently in the sale for a bargain price of £19, it's a steal. Paired with the matching skirt, it's a great example of an uber-cool patterned twin set, which shows off an iron-board stomach but with 3/4 sleeves so there's no danger of over-exposure!


My advice is to tread carefully in the cropped department, ensuring that if you dare to bare that you do so by going for a chic piece like the ASOS Vintage Tartan top above. Don't go falling into the cliche trap of a lycra polo neck which graces the wardrobes of almost every wannabe hipster in existence!

No comments:

Post a Comment