Friday 12 July 2013

Blast From The Past

I love looking back at the fashions from past decades. The flapper dresses from the 20s and pink ladies style jackets from the 50s just fascinate me, the way one individual piece can transform an outfit in to a by-gone era. I have found myself in a fully fringed number with a sudden urge to burst in to the Charleston before, and now I know why.


I’m channelling a 40s vibe with this bird print dress. Paired with these genuine 40s vintage sunglasses, I feel as though I’m caught in the WWII years prepared to ‘Keep Calm and Couture On’. Hence the demure face as I don't have any clue what to do when put in front of the camera but at least it lends itself to the war time keep mum attitude!

The beauty of fashion is its cyclical nature. The fact that within one decade a piece can go from being the height of what’s ‘in’, to something you wouldn’t be seen dead in, to once again being the thing to own that season. I would never throw anything out that I can still wear for that simple reason. I’ll either keep it hidden away, waiting for that day when it comes back in to fashion or re-work it in to something that is wearable now.


Remember: It aint out of fashion, just out of time.     

No comments:

Post a Comment